E. Raymond Smith Building
E. Raymond Smith was born in Andover, New York, in 1875 and came to Altoona in 1910. Before locating here, Smith graduated from the Hornell Business College in New York and the Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. In 1925, with Harry C. Gwin, Smith built the Ivyside Amusement Park — the current site of Penn State Altoona's Ivyside Park campus — and managed it for a period of twenty years. Through the generosity of his family, this site was made available to the campus Advisory Board at a very low price.
The E. Raymond Smith Building was the first modern building on campus. As the main administrative building on campus, it contains administrative offices, faculty offices, a switchboard and copy center, and classrooms. A student lounge located in the center of the building includes an express food cart provided by housing and food services. The Smith Building houses the Office of Academic Affairs, the Admissions Office, the Adult Center, the Bursar's Office, the Office of Business Operations, the Chancellor's Office, the Division of Undergraduate Studies, the Office of Human Resources, the Office of the Registrar, and the Office of Student Aid.