Counseling & Psychological Services
Alcohol and Other Drugs
Penn State Altoona Alcohol and Other Drug Policies
Penn State Altoona Alcohol Policy:
We are an alcohol-prohibited university:
- No one is permitted to have alcohol on University property, no matter if the person is 21 years or older, without the prior approval of the Chancellor.
- Students, regardless if they are 21 years or older, are NOT permitted to have alcohol in the Residence Halls. Students who violate this policy will be referred to the office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct, and/or University Police.
- Students, regardless if they are 21 years or older, are NOT permitted to be in the presence of alcohol in the Residence Halls. Students who violate this policy will be referred to the office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct, and/or University Police.
- If a student is caught breaking the law off campus, the Office of Student Conduct will review the allegations and the student may face Penn State disciplinary sanctions.
- By law, the local police department and University Police are required to notify parents or guardians of all underage-drinking violations.
Good Samaritan Law
A person under the age of twenty-one will be protected from prosecution for the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages if law enforcement, including campus police, became aware of the possession or consumption solely because the individual was seeking medical assistance for someone else. Read the entire policy.
Penn State Tobacco Policy
The smoking of any material is prohibited in all facilities of Penn State Altoona
With the exception of four designated areas, smoking will be prohibited outside any of the buildings, on sidewalks located on campus, and in parking lots on campus. For the location of smoking huts on campus, visit the Campus Map.
Penn State Drug Policy:
It is a violation of state law and University policy to illegally possess, use, distribute, manufacture, sell or be under the influence of illegal substances. Students who violate this policy will be referred to the Office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct, and/or University Police.
It is against residence hall policy for a student to be in a residential area (room, common area, common building, building entryway, or quad area immediately adjacent to the residence halls) and in the presence of an illegal substance. Students who are in the presence of an illegal substance in these areas will be referred to the Office of Residence Life, the Office of Student Conduct and/or University Police.
For more information about alcohol, tobacco and other drug policies: http://www.police.psu.edu/cleryact/documents/AltoonaPolicySafetyU2012.pdf
The Counseling Center is staffed by licensed counselors who provide both individual counseling and case management services. The Center's staff is dedicated to assisting students in their pursuit of personal and academic growth, to help students gain a better understanding and appreciation of themselves, and to support students as they make important decisions about their lives. Contact the Health and Wellness Center at 814-949-5540 to schedule an appointment or schedule through the Online Student Access secure portal.
Come see us
Mon - Thurs — 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Fri — 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.