Health and Wellness Center - Penn State Altoona

Health Education

Worried about your student’s use of alcohol or other drugs?

If you have concerns about your son or daughter’s use of alcohol and/or other drugs, do not ignore them.

Here are a few suggestions:

  • Try to remain calm
  • Be honest about your concerns with your son or daughter, but don’t be accusatory. Don’t speak in generalities, use specific examples that have led to your concern. For example, “I’m worried about your drinking because ...
    • you mentioned that you had blackouts (couldn’t remember part of the evening)”
    • your grades have been falling and several times you missed your morning classes because you were hung-over”
    • I’ve noticed your tolerance to alcohol has increased”
      For example, “I worried that you may be using drugs because…
    • you have been running out of money and can’t explain why”
    • I found a pipe (or needle, or pills) in your laundry”
  • If you need to speak with someone about your concerns, call the Health and Wellness Center (814-949-5540) and ask to speak with Essie Auker, the Certified Advanced Alcohol and Other Drug Counselor. Although she cannot speak directly about your student, she can offer some guidelines.
  • Encourage your son or daughter to seek options through the Health and Wellness Center. Confidential counseling with the Certified Advanced Alcohol and Other Drug Counselor is available.

Websites that may be helpful:

Through Health Education, we strive to help students gain knowledge and skills to make proactive decisions, promoting their health and well-being.

Come see us
Mon - Thurs — 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Fri — 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.