Day of fundraisers planned at Penn State Altoona as THON approaches
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 573 hits
On Tuesday, February 7, 2012, all students, faculty and staff are invited to the Slep Student Center for hours of entertainment and fun ways to raise money for THON, the largest philanthropic activity undertaken by Penn State students. The event also will be a send-off for Penn State Altoona's THON dancers, who will travel to University Park and dance for 46-hours from Feb. 17-19.
All monies raised for THON go to the Four Diamonds Fund and its pediatric cancer patients, families and researchers at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital. Last year, Penn State Altoona surpassed its own goal and topped all of the Commonwealth campuses by raising just more than $97,000 from canning, letter-writing, powderpuff games, and, of course, the dance marathon at University Park.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Basket Raffle
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Ping pong match with Chancellor Lori J. Bechtel-Wherry. The cost to play will be $5 -- for each player the chancellor also will donate $5; for each person who wins, the chancellor will donate $10.
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: "GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL!" (Participants will stand "in jail" for an hour -- if $100 is raised before the hour is up, they can break out).
- 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.: Learn last year's THON line dance
- 12:15 to1:15 p.m.: Wing-eating contest (wings donated by Mama Randazzo's)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Caricaturist
- 1:15 to 2:30 p.m.: Another chance to learn last year's THON line dance
- 2:30 p.m.: Winner of each basket raffle announced
- 2:40 p.m.: End with a performance of last year's THON line dance