Penn State Altoona Degree Offerings
Click here for a listing of all degrees offered at Penn State Altoona
Proper Names and Abbreviation of Academic Degrees
If you spell out, use:
- associate degree; baccalaureate degree, bachelor's degree; master's degree; doctoral degree, doctorate; bachelor of arts, master of science, doctor of philosophy
If you abbreviate, use:
- degrees with periods and without spaces: B.A.; M.S.; Ph.D.; M.Mus.; M.Eng.; M.B.A.; D.Ed.; J.D.; M.D., etc.
- Plural of B.A., M.A., Ph.D., and other abbreviations with periods: B.A.'s; M.A.'s; Ph.D.'s, etc.
Use B.A., M.A., Ph.D., and other degree abbreviations primarily in listings, such as departmental faculty rosters:
- Alicia Kwanda, professor of physiology, B.A., Temple University; M.S., Syracuse University.
It's more readable in regular text to spell the degrees out:
- He earned a bachelor of science degree in physics.
- She earned a bachelor's degree in chemistry.