Facilities Rental Policy
POLICY STATEMENT: Use of University facilities by non-University organizations may be approved subject to the guidelines established by this policy and other appropriate University policies. University use of all facilities shall have absolute preemptive priority over all non-University groups. The University reserves the right to cancel, postpone, or alter arrangements for any event if necessary. (University Policy AD02).
DEFINITION: Non-University organizations, as covered by this Policy, shall be defined as groups that: (1) have no official affiliation with Penn State or any of its recognized clubs, committees, departments, etc.; and (2) are affiliated with an official club, organization, professional group, business, non-profit entity, and the like. "Non-University organizations" does not include personal/individual requests from Penn State faculty, staff, or the public.
- To reserve the chapel for a wedding, please contact the Office of Student Life at 814-949-5793.
- To reserve space in the Devorris Downtown Center or Aaron Building, please contact Continuing Education & Training at 814-949-5535
- All other reservations shall be directed to the Office of University Relations at 814-949-5105, regardless of the facility being used. University Relations then will coordinate the facility request and/or will direct the requesting party to the appropriate person/department.
- Reservations cannot be made until the class schedule, room assignments, and athletic schedule for the requested time period have been made by Penn State Altoona. The Office of University Relations will take an early request and keep it on file until such time, but cannot confirm a reservation until such schedules have been set.
- See Rate Chart.
- The rental fee will not be waived unless waiver is approved by the Chancellor or the Director of University Relations.
- This Policy does not cover any rental fees which may apply to Penn State sponsored events or organizations.
- The fee schedule shall apply to all non-Penn State sponsored events and organizations, regardless of Penn State student, faculty or staff participation in the event or organization.
- Permitted Uses (include, but are not limited to):
- Chapel uses include: weddings, funerals, memorial services, worship services, meetings, and personal parties for Penn State Altoona faculty and staff.
- Personal parties for Penn State Altoona faculty and staff shall be permitted only in the Chapel Social Room based upon availability. Faculty and staff desiring to rent this facility for their personal use should contact the Office of University Relations. The rates set forth in the rate chart shall apply for the Chapel Social Room.
- Non-permitted uses:
- Reservations shall not be made for personal parties for the general public for their individual usage (i.e. persons who are not affiliated with an official club, organization, professional group, business, non-profit entity, and the like.
- Alcohol: No permission shall be granted for a non-University sponsored organization to use or possess alcoholic beverages, or for a personal party by a faculty or staff member. (University Policy AD18).
- Commercial, ticket and/or merchandise sales/orders: The use of University facilities and/or property for commercial sales activities by individuals or non-University for-profit groups is prohibited.
- Except as set forth below, the use of facilities shall not have as its purpose the raising of funds for activities or causes unrelated to the University. (University Policy AD02).
- If any fund raising activity takes place, a detailed plan for the designation of funds must be specifically approved by the appropriate budget executive at the campus. No funds can be distributed to any organization or individual other than a tax-exempt organization. (University Policy AD02).
- Approved use of facilities by non-University groups for the purposes of fund raising may or may not be restricted to co-sponsorship by an authorized University group. (University Policy AD02).
- Laurel Pavilion
The Laurel Pavilion is available for use by the public, free of charge, on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations for usage of the pavilion by the public are not taken; the exception is if the individual/organization plans to use Penn State Altoona Housing and Food Service for their catering/food needs. In that instance, reservations for the pavilion made be made through the Office of University Relations at 814-949-5105 and food service needs may be made through the Office of Housing and Food Services at 814-949-5400 or email@example.com.
- Food Service:
- Food service needs must be handled by either Penn State Altoona's Housing and Food Service Office (H&FS), or a Penn State approved caterer. (University Policy AD26). Click here for a list of all Penn State approved caterers in Blair County. If an outside caterer is utilized, all arrangements are the responsibility of the organization renting the facilities and will not be handled by the Office of University Relations. If Penn State Altoona's H&FS is utilized, the Office of University Relations will assist the organization with such arrangements.
- All requests for on-campus housing shall be coordinated through the Office of University Relations, who will work with H&FS to ensure that policies and procedures are followed. Billing will be handled through the Housing & Food Services Office.
- Port-Sky Café:
- All requests to use Port-Sky Café shall be coordinated through the Office of University Relations, who will work with H&FS to ensure that policies and procedures are followed. Billing will be handled through the Housing & Food Services Office.
- Adler Athletic Complex:
- The Adler Athletic Complex (including the pool and the outdoor athletic facilities) shall be used for student functions and related Penn State Altoona functions only. It is not available for rental by outside groups. Exceptions to this general policy shall be made on a case-by-case basis. For information, contact John Carey at JRC235@psu.edu.
- Weddings: all wedding arrangements, including billing, shall be coordinated through the Office of Student Life, 814-949-5793.
- For all other uses of the Chapel, the Office of University Relations shall coordinate such rental by non-University sponsored groups or by Penn State Altoona faculty and staff.
- Galleries: all usage of the galleries shall be coordinated by the Theatre and Gallery Manager.
- Theater: All lighting and sound special needs shall be coordinated by the Theater and Gallery Manager (see rate chart for full-time technical support).
- Satellite Downlink:
- See rate chart for current rate. This rate does not include long distance charges that may be incurred when toll-free numbers are not utilized for hook-up.
- When facilities are rented for use during times when Penn State Altoona Instructional Services does not have anyone regularly scheduled, support personnel will be available at the rate of $10/hour with prior notification that this service is required.
- Picture Tel:
- See rate chart for current rate. This rate does not include long distance charges that may be incurred for calls originated from Penn State Altoona.
- When facilities are rented for use during times when the Penn state Altoona Instructional Services Office does not have anyone regularly scheduled, support personal will be provided at a rate of $10/hour upon prior notification that this support service is requested.
- Audio/Visual: see rate chart.
- Set-up of facilities:
- Set up arrangements for all facilities shall be coordinated through the Office of University Relations, including audio-visual needs, except:
- Port-Sky Café
- Residence Halls
- All requesting parties must sign the Penn State University Indemnification Agreement and a Penn State Altoona Facility Use Request form. Copies of these forms are available at the Office of University Relations at 814-949-5349, Beech House.
- All billing of non-University sponsored groups (exclusive of Chapel weddings and the galleries) shall be handled by the Office of University Relations, which shall send one bill to the customer, including audio/visual and room rental fees. A separate food services bill will be sent by the Housing and Food Services Office.